British Acoustic Films Employees
British Acoustic Films moved to Mitcheldean in 1940 as a result of World War II being declared. They moved from Edgeware Road in London as a result of Government policy to move key businesses out of London. Mr Tommy Law of British Acoustic Films (BAF) visited the site in the summer of 1940.
The original site covered only a few acres. A conversion scheme was put in hand and in 1941 a group of 20 men arrived from Shepherds Bush to start work.
War production contracts for searchlight equipment, gunfire direction tables, 16mm projectors for Forces education and entertainment kept the factory busy. By the end of the war the workforce had grown to 250, with a nucleus of skilled engineers and craftsmen well equipped to take the company into the next phase of its development.